Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Baby It's Hot Outside!

The temperature today is supposed to reach 100 degrees... again, with a "heat index" of 105-110.  In honor of this sweltering summer, here's a poem I wrote several years ago during a similar heat wave. (With apologies to Edgar Allan Poe.)

IT'S NOT THE HEAT
Copyright 2011 by Roger B. Stone

Once upon a noontime sunny,
Overwhelmed by sweat a-runny,
Rolling down my brow and off my nose.

Ice-cold latté gently sipping,
(A vain attempt to stop the dripping,)
Drip, drip dripping; seeping through my clothes.

Then I spied a lovely lassie.
'Quick! Come up with something classy!'
Screamed my re-fried brain that steamy day.

But my mouth intoned stupidity,
“It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.”
She glanced at me… and quickly walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment