Friday, December 9, 2011

Opera Schmopera

For her birthday one year, my wife and I took my Mom to an Opera Dinner at Sotto Sopra Italian restaurant in Baltimore, MD.  The 6-course meal with live operatic performances throughout the evening is a real treat for opera lovers.  Since we were going to hear arias from a variety of operas, I wrote this poem on her invitation.

THE OPERA FROM HELL

Copyright 2011 by Roger B. Stone

When we first started out I wrote une poeme,
To celebrate going to see La Boheme.
Then the season got changed and they booked a new story,
So I wrote a long verse about Il Trovatore.
Then that one fell through, and it made me get crotchety,
Tryin’ to develop a rhyme for Pagliacchity.
Once more they adjusted, and once more I needed,
To come up with something that works with Aida.
But they did it again, (now it’s getting pro-forma),
So I started all over a-rhyming with Norma.
Well son of a gun, now, and ain’t it just charmin’,
They’ve revised the damn thing – and this time it’s Carmen.
Those bastards, I wish they would all go to Hell-o,
They switched it and scheduled a night of Otello.
I’m blowin’ the opera house up, cause I’ve gotta
Re-write the whole thing – now it’s La Traviata!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment